Saturday, March 1, 2008

Wilmington, NC



I am sitting at a restaurant (working on my fourth cup of tea) in beautiful Wilmington, North Carolina. Last time I was here, my friend was getting married on the beach as Hurricane Ophelia was coming ashore. (No, I’m not kidding)… Thirty-five mile an hour winds were pelting sand horizontally to the point that people were covering their faces with their wedding programs,. To make matters worse, halfway through the ceremony a huge wave came ashore and wiped out the first six rows where the guests were sitting. Attending a wedding in hurricane force winds is really not so wonderful, but the memories of it still make me laugh.

But anyway… this time it’s a mild 55 degrees, and no hurricanes are approaching. (Once was enough!)

I am here in the restaurant collecting my notes from the 4 ½ days of classes I just went through. (Whew!) I learned SO MUCH at this workshop. I feel more inspired and energized about my photography business than I have in a very long time. Not only did I get a chance to sharpen my photography skills from some of the best photographers in the world, but I got advice on how to get my life back. The workshop theme was largely around time-life management. This, (along with the fact that it was taught by four of my favorite photographers!) is the reason I went. Many of you know that I work long hours, but I bet you didn’t know that I had THREE days off between October and December 15th of last year. Three days, that is all. That’s just insane. I started my photography business while working full time, getting my MBA, and moving to our new house in Troy. I mean seriously, who does that to themselves? I don’t know anyone that crazy!

So, after this workshop, I have made a decision to take Sundays off. I will no longer be accepting any appointments or taking calls on Sundays. I am going to try to spend Sundays with my husband and cat, and make an attempt at having a life outside of work.

I will also be hiring a local high school student. I am swamped, and need help. If anyone knows of a dependable, creative student that wants to hang around a photographer and learn about really cool photographs, let me know. I will be training them in Photoshop and possibly some camera techniques, depending on their skill set. I have posted the advertisement on Craig’s List, so any interested candidates should check out the ad there.

So, things at Beth Merritt Photography will be changing. The customer service and attention to detail will still remain at a very high level, however, if another voice answers the phone when you call, don’t be too alarmed…!

I fly back to Detroit tomorrow… talk to y’all on Monday!

;)

Beth

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,

I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Wilmington. I've reviewed some of your work and I'm truly inspired. You are an awesome artist! I've also applied for the photography assistant position you posted on Craigslist. I hope to be the one to help reduce some of your stress. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Tiesha Elam