Thursday, February 5, 2009

Why I am a Photographer

I don't think I've ever put this on the blog before... Do you guys know why I am a photographer??? I mean, I started because a good friend liked some pictures - and told everyone - and I got a million phone calls for shoots - and then my company was born. But that's not the real reason I am a photographer.

(Hmmmn...How do I say this eloquently???) Some of the general public is well... seriously NUTS - and less than pleasant to deal with. I have quickly come to realize that simply being good at something isn't enough. In order to put up with all the craziness, you have to love what you do and have a mission. Well, for about two years, I took pictures without a mission. At the end of 2007, I was tired, frustrated, and contemplating quitting.

I met Louise Guindi in November 2007. We instantly hit it off. She was kind. She was genuine. And her family was fun... We met at a shoot and had a blast. They ran, they played, they tickled, and froze. It was awesome - despite the frigid temperatures. Here are the photos from that November 2007 shoot:





These pictures made me excited about being a photographer. I was literally giddy with the results of the shoot, and was so excited to show Louise and her family. The response I got, I could never be prepared for.
It would be this phone call to Louise that would change my life. I would call to tell her her photographs were done early on a Monday morning. She would reply that she had just learned that her cancer had returned. She informed me that the situation was dire, and that she needed to order that day. I immediately rearranged my schedule to accommodate her simple request.
I was devastated. These children were babies... they were facing the possibility of losing their mom. Did I take enough pictures - were they good enough to withstand the test of time? The youngest was five. What do I remember about my mom at the age of five? Would she remember? Suddenly photographing this family - and preserving these memories for other families would become a personal mission. If I could help just one more family, I would....

So, at every shoot since November 2007, no matter how crazy or nasty people get, I continue because one day a family member might look at the pictures and remember an emotion or a wonderful memory. That alone is worth it.

But...


....it is with a very heavy heart that I report that Louise left us on Sunday. Her husband and three young children will say goodbye for the final time today at the funeral.

We did take some additional pictures over this last Christmas. Louise's situation was getting more dire. So, we did a "why not?" shoot. The family has allowed me to share the pictures from that shoot with you..

I am honored that she asked for me to come see her in the last days before she left us. We were able to talk to her at length and say goodbye. I would actually wind up spending a lot of time with the family over the next couple days, helping them gather and prepare precious memories to be used at the funeral. You see, today especially, we reap the benefits of these images we have captured over the last 2+ years. Yesterday at the funeral home we were able to display pictures of Louise's relationship with her family through Slideshows, prints, and cards that I created for the family. Each picture illustrates a bond - and I am so proud of that.

(Okay, I have to say this next part... and it isn't necessarily nice. But I really feel I have to say it. Here goes...)

Moms, I want you to get out from behind that camera! Stop making excuses and waiting for that extra five pounds to come off, that pimple to be gone, etc. … Go find someone that knows what they are doing with a camera. Anyone. Have family pictures done the right way. Drag your parents, grandparents and kids into the picture. Hug them. Laugh with them… and tickle everyone. But celebrate every second of the time we do have – and document it – again and again, for our time here is far too short.

Words cannot describe how hard it is to see the four of them without her now. Louise was only 38 years old. At 10:00 today, hundreds of people will see a slideshow with my work documenting the Guindi's over the last couple years. I am more proud of this Slideshow and these images than any piece of artwork I have ever produced (and after taking about 200,000 pictures over the last few years, that says a lot!). The fact that I was chosen to document these precious moments will forever humble me.

If I can help just one more family celebrate each other, then it's all worth it. And that is why I am a photographer. This is why I do what I do.

God bless...

Beth

9 comments:

Carol Kerfoot said...

Absolutely the most powerful thing I have read. THANK YOU for this! You made a difference in my life as a photographer and as a mother.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Merritt,

A friend forwarded the link to your blog. I first saw your work in her Christmas card last year. I'm grateful to you and to her family for sharing the larger body of the photos. A poignant reminder to enjoy the undeserved blessings of health and family.

Anonymous said...

You had to go and make me cry! That is a sad but wonderful story and a great place to draw inspiration, focus, and mission from. Very well written and gorgeous, lasting memories and art! I'm sure they are eternally grateful. Now, I'm one of those moms who has lots of great images of my kiddos but my hubby and I are missing! If the winter has you bored and in need to get behind the camera, let me know. Faith and I are heading out tomorrow. LOVE this weather! Beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

That was so moving! That makes me want to fulfill my dream of becoming a family photographer even more!

Anonymous said...

A friend forwarded me this post and I want to thank you for the reminder Beth! Reading your post, I'm moved to tears and I will get out from behind my camera and get some pictures with my children. Thank you for the reminder both as a photographer and a Mom. :)

Molly B said...

Beth,
Thank you so much for the post about Louise and her family. I went to college with her, and though we weren't close friends, she always had a smile for me and was always sweet and kind. I have nothing but fond memories of her.

I, too, am a photographer, and I, too, lost a dear friend in cancer a couple of years ago. Maureen, who was 40 at the time, called me first to tell me because she couldn't reach her husband and I was the first person she thought of. I prayed with her and tried to calm her spirit. 14 months later she was gone, leaving a husband and 2 young children. I gave her husband a framed picture of their family to keep the night of the funeral.

What you said strikes so close to home. I have 3 young children and can't imagine leaving this world yet. I spend my life documenting the growth and relationships of other families and I believe God has called me--and you--to do this important mission.

You have beautiful work and I hope some day we might meet. I will be at WPPI this week if by some chance you are there.

God bless you.

Molly Brown-Boulay
Boulay Photography
www.boulayphotography.com

Molly B said...

Beth,
Thank you so much for the post about Louise and her family. I went to college with her, and though we weren't close friends, she always had a smile for me and was always sweet and kind. I have nothing but fond memories of her.

I, too, am a photographer, and I, too, lost a dear friend in cancer a couple of years ago. Maureen, who was 40 at the time, called me first to tell me because she couldn't reach her husband and I was the first person she thought of. I prayed with her and tried to calm her spirit. 14 months later she was gone, leaving a husband and 2 young children. I gave her husband a framed picture of their family to keep the night of the funeral.

What you said strikes so close to home. I have 3 young children and can't imagine leaving this world yet. I spend my life documenting the growth and relationships of other families and I believe God has called me--and you--to do this important mission.

You have beautiful work and I hope some day we might meet. I will be at WPPI this week if by some chance you are there.

God bless you.

Molly Brown-Boulay
Boulay Photography
www.boulayphotography.com

Anonymous said...

My aunt knew Louise and sent me your way since I am a portrait photographer. Your post moved me to tears. Thank you for sharing your gift with the world, and thank you for writing this heartfelt and sincere post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the moving photographs and story. I knew Louise early in her career, and hear natural beauty shines through in the photographs.