Sunday, August 19, 2007

Giving Back...

I am a member of Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (NILMDTS). NILMDTS is a non-profit organization made up of volunteer photographers that provide bereavement photography services free of charge to families experiencing early infant loss. There are approximately 3,000 NILMDTS photographers worldwide.

I received a call about two weeks ago from the sister of a mother that had lost her newborn. The sister had heard of NILMDTS, but the hospital had not informed the family that this service was available to them. Bothered by this, I called the hospital. Indeed, the head of nursing in Labor & Delivery did not know about our organization. I am in the process of contacting and educating the hospitals in the northern Detroit suburbs. However, it may take a couple of weeks.

If there is a situation where someone could benefit from the NILMDTS services, please feel free to forward the website (nowilaymedowntosleep.org), or have the hospital contact me for further information (248-425-6008.) It is generally not ideal for the family to contact the photographers, generally because of their inability to communicate clearly due to their immense grief.

NILMDTS is an organization much bigger than me. There are many photographers in the state of Michigan that participate.

I hope you will never need - nor know anyone that needs - our serivces. But in the awful event that you or a friend need NILMDTS, I wanted you to know that we exist.

God bless...

0 comments: