Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Joy of Children's Photography

I often get comments about how folks are amazed that I can do seven shoots in one day from babies to huge families, and it doesn't bother me. Yes folks, I actually enjoy it! (You should see the looks I get from dads when they think about repeating their somewhat traumatic photo experience over seven times. It's funny.) And yes, sometimes we get tears in the studio. But we are trained to know what to do when that happens - and we have ways of getting the tears to stop to get what we need during the shoot.

The funniest studio session I ever had was last Saturday. We were pushing the kids to the limits (they had been shooting for over 45 minutes) but we decided to try for one more picture with the grandparents and grandchildren. This is how it went:


My personal favorite is the two girls in the lower right corner who are consoling each other and putting their hands over their ears to block out the screaming. At this point, all the parents in the studio were just rolling with laughter. It was so awful it was funny.

But we did get other great shots from the day - just not any at the end! ;)

This little boy found my glasses... so funny.

Blog update: So I have had three people ask me if those were my real glasses. Actually, I am legally blind without my contacts - but no, those are not my real glasses! These are glasses that I got as a prop for silly pictures. (I think it's hilarious that folks thought these were my real glasses!! If I showed up wearing those glasses to a shoot, would you guys let me take your pictures?? ha ha - probably not!)

2 comments:

Dayna said...

that picture above is classic and should be bought and framed! Anyone with lots of kids in the family knows what you do is amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

No, I'm the blog stalker here! That was really sweet of you. Except, I'm my own worst critic so I think you're pulling my leg. I love this shot especially with Grandma and Grandpa. Ah, real moments! Nice work photographing all those kids together. That's no easy task. Hey, I'm available when you're available!